Student Written, Student Produced

The Barron Perspective

Notorious MAC Comes to WHS

josegomez83

by Mark Vallaro

To prepare for his rap battle, Notorious MAC (left) practices with WHS Junior Andrew “Xhef” Rodriguez (right). MAC started this practice as an “infrequent warm- up, but it eventually became an crucial part” to his daily schedule. (Credit: Mark Vallaro)

After years in Woodbridge politics, Mayor John McCormac has entered the music industry under the name “Notorious MAC” and will be holding rap battles at WHS to raise money for studio time.

Mayor McCormac announced his resignation from his position as mayor on February 27, 2017, almost three weeks after his “Recycle Rap” video was uploaded to YouTube. The video includes members of the Department of Public Works spitting bars with MAC about the Township’s garbage removal services.

After partaking in the Woodbridge recycling rap, MAC received a lot of positive feedback from citizens and colleagues. This experience helped him fully realize his true passions.

Ray Gross, a worker at the Department of Public Works who was in the rap video and is now a part of Notorious MAC’s entourage, is optimistic about the future. “MAC’s flows are incredible. I’m honestly so honored to work with him and I hope to see him succeed. It’s crazy to know that my mayor has such talent,” Gross said.

Now, MAC’s biggest obstacles are to get publicity and money for studio time. “People still refer to me as ‘Mayor McCormac,’ and I’m really trying to get the name ‘Notorious MAC’ out there. It’s who I am now,” MAC said. MAC figures that he will have to record his music to really start off his career.

“I’m really looking to get a deal with a company to help me out. First, I’ll need money for some studio time. So, I will be holding rap battle competitions at Woodbridge High School.”

MAC encourages aspiring rappers in the district to participate in the rap battle to “get their foot in the door.”

“I still have some friends in the local government and they’re going to help me put this on for all of Woodbridge. I hope that everyone can enjoy,” he said.

Andrew Rodriguez, a Woodbridge High School junior, who goes by “Xhef” in the music industry, has been involved in the preparation of the rap battle. “I’ve gotta say that I’m really excited about how this will all turn out, and I’ve been trying to get the top rappers in the area to join,” Xhef said.

MAC will be participating in the battle himself, but he will only face whoever beats all the other rappers. “I’ve been practicing day and night. I usually have somebody to rap against and I always win. I am very confident in my ability,” MAC said.

It is too early to tell what will become of MAC’s career, as it all depends on the success of the rap battles. “While there are still some things that I’ll have to work on, I am very confident in my talent and those working with me. I believe that I will succeed,” MAC said.

The rap battles will take place on Thursday, April 20th in Woodbridge High School’s auditorium. Doors will open at 6:30 PM. Tickets will be five dollars for adults and three dollars for students.